Latest HSE Stats - the Headline Figures
The HSE has just issued its latest statistics for workplace injuries and accidents for the year 2016/17.The top line statistics are:
- 137 people were killed at work during the year. Whilst this is down on the previous year it’s still almost three people being killed every week just doing their job
- There were just over 70,000 RIDDOR reportable injuries in the same period (with many, many more not reported!)
- There were 600,000 non-fatal injuries that weren’t reportable (that’s over 11,500 accidents every week)
- Construction, Transport and Wholesale industries still appear in the Top 5 most dangerous industries in which to work
- 12,000 enforcement notices were issued during the period which was an increase on the previous period. Deaths and injuries may be falling but there is an increase in enforcement notices so obviously organisations are still not following the law!
- Successful prosecutions during the period led to fines totalling £69.9 million.