Worker’s Floor Slip Led to Loss of Fingertips

The HSE has reported that a company has been sentenced after a ‘needless’ incident resulted in a gruesome accident – which could have been prevented had safety systems been followed.

An electrical contractor was clearing up after completing work on a freezer when he slipped on an icy floor. He instinctively put out his right hand to steady himself but as he did so it struck the drive chain of a moving conveyor, taking the tips off two of his fingers down to the first joint, and injuring a third.

After the case, HSE Inspector Shuna Rank said: “This worker’s injuries should not and need not have happened. This incident was easily preventable had the company ensured safety guards were in place on the machinery. The company should also have taken steps to prevent the accumulation of ice on the freezer floor.

“Guards and safety systems are there for a reason, and companies have a legal duty of care to ensure they are properly fitted and working effectively at all times.”

The contractor was off work for four weeks but has since been able to return to work. The company was fined over £8,000 and ordered to pay nearly £800 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Encompassing an effective yet simple safety system onto the machinery would have prevented the incident from occurring. SG World’s range of inspection checklist pads cover a whole range of working equipment, with bespoke options also available. SG World will work with your business to design and print custom inspection documentation for any requirement or piece of equipment, meaning protected employees and a protected business.

Source: HSE.gov.uk

Previous article How Health & Safety brought us the ice cream cone . . .